Thursday 13 September 2018

4 years later

Each year the anniversary of Dom's stroke gets less recognition from us.  I feel like it is similar to the death of a loved one - its not something you celebrate, it is just something that on that day I think "oh yeah, its been ... years since I lost them - wow thats gone fast", and then I go on with my day.  This year however, June 25 came and went and I didn't even think of the significance of that day.  I was a little busy with our almost 3 year old daughter and our new baby girl.  We welcomed Emily into the world on June 17, 2018.  So I may have been a little sleep deprived on June 25 this year! 

Four years on from that fateful day in 2014 and we now have two kids!  I remember at the time of Dom's stroke thinking that we would never have kids.  We'd been trying to conceive for about 6 months before Dom had the stroke.  And to have those negative pregnancy tests before the stroke, well, I just thought there's no way children will be possible for us now.  Then once Dom had recovered, well I was very unsure whether I really wanted to have children as the chance of Dom having another stroke will always be there, I just didn't know whether I wanted to be a single mother.  Turns out, my desire for children overrode my fear of raising them alone.  I didn't want to get to the point of being too old to have children and look back and regret the choice to not have them just because Dom might not be able to be part of that journey in our lives.  I thought "what if he is still here and healthy when we are in our 40s...I will regret not having kids".  So now we have two of them!  And my god do they keep us on our toes, but we wouldn't change it for the world!!

We were robbed of so much because of the stroke and then the epilepsy, but we haven't let that define us.  We have survived it and we are stronger for it - both together and individually.  I am a hell of a lot more resilient than I ever thought I could be.  I have always said "if you asked me how would you handle Dom having a severe medical emergency that would threaten his life, I would have told you that I would fall to pieces".  But that's not what happened at all.  I held it together.  I wouldn't say I thrived, thats not the right word, but I didn't just survive it, I accepted the challenge and kicked its arse!  I was heartbroken, devastated, petrified, uncertain, determined and hopeful all at the same time.  I look back on what I went through watching Dom go through those horrible couple of years and I am still shocked that I survived, that I came out the other side.  I didn't come out the same person - those couple of years changed me; not for the better and not in a bad way either, but I definitely changed. 

Dom was (still is) my everything.  But I now have the quiet confidence that I would be ok without him if that situation ever arose.  I remember conversations we have had over the years, before the stroke, that I would demand Dom die after me, that I could never handle losing him.  That I wouldn't survive and didn't want to go through that.  I still demand that he not die before me, but not because I wouldn't survive - I am confident I would...but now I just think he owes it to me after all he put me through to wait til I pass before he does.  Fair is fair isn't it? haha. 

So, we are we at now? Well we have two beautiful daughters.  Dom works full time, one day per week from home which helps him to battle and overcome the residual tiredness (thanks stroke).  He drives himself to and from the train station.  He gets up to Grace in the middle of the night, he reads her stories, plays games with her, guides her through her gymnastics classes when he can get to them and teaches her all about the solar system (her obsession - his as well coincidently).  He changes Emily's nappies, has fed her bottles on the occasions she has them (she's exclusively breastfed), he sings her songs, settles her down when she's upset.  Yes, he has some limitations but nothing overtly noticeable to the girls or anyone other than him and I.  He's an amazing father - as I knew he would be.  He hasn't let the stroke or epilepsy take that away from him. 

He is a wonderful husband.  He supports me, encourages me, helps me...he's everything he always was.  Yes, there are some slight changes in his personality compared to before the stroke, but I'm really the only one aware of them and in the past 4 years I have fallen in love with Dom 2.0 as I call him.  Some of the changes in him are a result of the stroke and some are a result of the medication.  I don't particularly care about the cause, or even the change.  Within him I can still see the man I fell in love with when I was 18 years old.  I can still see us growing old together and I look forward to each and everyday in between.  Yes, some days are not great - but I don't think the stroke or epilepsy is to blame - I think there are good days and not so good days in any relationship.  We disagree, but don't fight - we never have.  Some days I think "my god, I'm going to kill you" ...but what wife doesn't have those thoughts? I'm sure he wants to strangle me at times too.  We have a healthy relationship and a healthy outlook on life.  Our work-life balance has changed to life-focused, as opposed to work-focused.  Our girls, health and happiness are our priorities and that's the way it should be. 

 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment