Monday 24 June 2024

10 years on...

 - Dom turned 40!

- We've had three children: all girls!

- Work promotions

- Family holidays

- Dance and swimming lessons

- School pick ups and drop offs

...the list goes on!  Our lives are so very different now when compared to 10 years ago and I'm so happy to say it's not because Dom had a stroke.  Well, if I'm honest, then yes, Dom's stroke has impacted on our lives and continues to do so, but our lives today are different because we've continued to live, to move forward.  

In terms of Dom's stroke survival and the impact it has on his (and our) lives today is not something a lot of people understand, or even remember is a thing.  Dom still has, and always will have, continual challenges with fatigue.  Some things are more exhausting for him than others.  Driving, for example.  A one hour drive to the beach and back can wipe him out for the evening/night and into the next morning.  An interrupted night of sleep (thanks kids!) can take Dom days to recover from.  And I've not always been the most supportive or understanding wife in these times.  Parenting is hard, worth it, but hard nonetheless, and in the moment when the three girls are all at me for three different things and Dom is lying in bed; well, I've been known to lose my mind a little (ok Dom - a lot).  But after the fact, I understand, and I recognise I was overwhelmed in the moment and wanted a partner to take some of the load.  Having said that - I don't think there is a better husband or father out there.  Dom is so kind, compassionate and patient.  He loves me and our girls with all he has, and we never doubt his love for us.  


In the past 10 years, Dom has recognized his challenges post-stroke and developed strategies to overcome these.  Some of the challenges he has had to overcome, and still does on the daily, along with the fatigue, is slight aphasia when he's tired and short-term memory difficulties.  These are causes of frustration for Dom, however, his ability to be resilient and overcome these challenges continues to inspire me.  He has received some work promotions and acknowledgements of his capabilities in his role over the last 10 years that when colleagues learn of his stroke they are astounded at what he can and does do at work.  

I am beyond proud of the man I married.  He is strong, intelligent, supportive, caring, loving and an inspiring stroke survivor.

Happy 10 year anniversary boo...I am so thankful you fought the odds and are by my side today and everyday! 




No comments:

Post a Comment